Sunday, August 3, 2014

Happy National Watermelon Day

     Throughout the year I try to find fun holidays to celebrate with the kiddos.  August 3rd marks the day to honor the juicy watermelon on National Watermelon Day!  I, personally, am not a fan of watermelon, or melon, or honeydew, or cantaloupe as a matter of fact.  But it doesn't stop me from coming up with creative ways to enjoy a "watermelon," even if it's Watermelon Cookies like I made last year, or these yummy Watermelon Cake Pops I made this year.  

Recipe adapted from Diva's Can Cook


 ** I usually make all my cakes & frosting from scratch, but for these I used a boxed cake mix and pre-made frosting **

What you need:

Any flavor cake, prepared according to box (I used the Duncan Hines Limited Edition Holiday Velvets Cake Mixes) **
Vanilla or Chocolate Frosting (depending on the cake flavor, I used vanilla)
2 packages melting chocolates (I used the Wilton Green Candy Melts)
Cake pop sticks
Sprinkles



How to make them:

Add the cake to a large bowl.  (If using two colors as I did, you will need two separate bowls)
Crumble the cakes until it resembles fine crumbs.
Add in the frosting a little bit at a time until the cake is moist and can hold a ball shape, yep still slightly crumbly.
Use your hands to incorporate the frosting into the cake crumbs.
Use a mini ice cream scoop, scoop out some cake, roll and shape into tight balls.  (I also put some mini chocolate chips into the center ball to act as "seeds" for my Watermelon Cake balls)
If using different colors, roll a smaller ball in one color then using the other color cake cover the ball entirely forming one large ball.
Roll the rest of the mixture into tight balls and place on a plate or a mini muffin pan.
Melt 2-4oz of the melting chocolate in a microwavable safe bowl.
Dip the tip of a cake pop stick into the melted chocolate then insert it into the cake ball about half way, repeat with remaining balls.
Freeze for about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the decorating supplies.
Melt the remaining chocolate in a large cup, make sure you have enough chocolate to completely submerge the cake ball.
Remove the cake balls from the freezer.
Dip the cake balls carefully into the chocolate until covered.
Let the excess chocolate drip off, swirl and tap gently if needed.
Add the sprinkles while the chocolate is still wet. (it hardens quickly)
Stick the decorated cake pop into a styrofoam block to finish setting.
Place into the refrigerator to speed up setting time.
When completely harden, either cover with a clear treat bag and ribbon to hand out as gifts or
store them in a single layer in an air tight container or freeze them...or
ENJOY one now!



     Last year was our first celebrating National Watermelon Day, here are the Watermelon Cookies I made last year!  Everyone was so impressed by them and they tasted really good too!


If you're looking for some fun facts about watermelons to baffle your friends, check it out here!

HAPPY 
WATERMELON
DAY!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comment. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
1 09 10